Building Science Technician
|Location:||Raleigh - Advanced Energy, NC|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
Advanced Energy is a non-profit energy consulting firm. We work with electric utilities, government and a wide variety of public and private partners. Our customized services include research, testing, training, consulting and program design.
This position will support Advanced Energy’s residential energy services including SystemVision (www.systemvision.org), a program that has certified over 5,000 new homes, designed to be healthy, safe, durable, and comfortable and energy efficient. The position will be responsible for inspecting homes at various stages in the construction process, conducting plan reviews, performing HVAC load calculations, communicating with builders and their subcontractors and providing other technical services in the energy field to utilities, federal and state agencies, and other customers. This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of Advanced Energy's award-winning SystemVision program!
- Perform building plan reviews including load calculations and/or energy performance analysis.
- Conduct applied building science diagnostics: visit structures, conduct measurement tests, record results, summarize data, recommend solutions, define and interpret the importance of the implementation of corrective measures, and perform quality control.
- Perform QC inspections in accordance with Advanced Energy’s home performance programs; use a variety of diagnostic tools and methods that may include blower door, duct blaster, air flow testers, air balancing equipment, etc.
- Provide advice, problem solving and instruction regarding corrective measures for meeting program requirements (e.g., System Vision for New and/or Existing Homes; Home Performance with ENERGY STAR). Recommend specific system modifications or adjustments.
- Comply with all standards, policies and procedures, including safety and clean work space procedures.
- Assist with preparation of workshops and presentations.
- Provide hands on assistance in deploying new technologies in the field and help establish equipment selection and measurement tools and techniques for energy-efficient homes.
- Serve as a technical expert for staff, clients and business partners regarding residential building technology.
- Maintain own technical and professional knowledge by attending workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Provide excellent customer services to clients by being timely, responsive and providing excellent verbal and written communications.
- Associate’s degree or certificate program in building science, civil engineering or relevant field required. Combination of education and work experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Current HERS Rater Certification preferred; Rating Field Inspector (RFI) credential also acceptable
- One or more years of technical work experience in the Building Science or Construction field preferred; Experience with blower door and duct blaster preferred.
- Intermediate level proficiency using Microsoft Office Products.
- Problem solving and data interpretation skills; strong written and oral communication skills; ability to work in teams as well as independently; organization skills and attention to detail; ability to plan and carry out daily activities and meet deadlines; commitment to excellent customer service.
- Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Interest in affordable housing and/or energy efficiency
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Experience with REMRate energy modeling software and/or Wrightsoft Load Calculation Software
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.