Building Science Technician
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
Advanced Energy is a planning, technical and engineering services firm that provides market-based energy solutions. We work with electric utilities, state, federal and local governments, manufacturers and a wide variety of public and private partners. Advanced Energy offers program design and implementation, consulting, training, testing and research to provide market-based energy-related solutions for our five markets: residential, commercial and industrial, motors and drives, solar and electric transportation. This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of Advanced Energy's award-winning SystemVision program!
We’re not just building houses. We’re changing lives.
Since 2001, the SystemVision affordable housing program has certified nearly 5,000 new homes, designed to be healthy, safe, durable, comfortable and energy efficient. SystemVision uses practical solutions and simplified processes to support developers and builders in designing, constructing and marketing affordable homes, and the program stays up to date as building code evolves. SystemVision also uses energy modeling to provide heating and cooling energy use and comfort guarantees for two years. These guarantees benefit the homeowner and act as a feedback loop for the program. SystemVision reviews and troubleshoots high bill complaints or moisture-related concerns. In recent years, SystemVision expanded to include a comprehensive retrofit program for existing homes. You can learn more at www.systemvision.org.
The Building Science Technician will...
- Perform building plan reviews including load calculations and/or energy performance analysis.
- Conduct applied building science diagnostics: visit structures, conduct measurement tests, record results, summarize data, recommend solutions, define and interpret the importance of the implementation of corrective measures, and perform quality control.
- Perform QC inspections in accordance with Advanced Energy’s home performance programs; use a variety of diagnostic tools and methods that may include blower door, duct blaster, air flow testers, air balancing equipment, etc.
- Provide advice, problem solving and instruction regarding corrective measures for meeting program requirements (e.g., System Vision for New and/or Existing Homes; Home Performance with ENERGY STAR). Recommend specific system modifications or adjustments.
- Assist with preparation of workshops and presentations. Comply with all standards, policies and procedures, including safety and clean work space procedures.
- Provide hands on assistance in deploying new technologies in the field.
- Help establish equipment selection and measurement tools and techniques for energy-efficient homes.
- Serve as a technical expert for staff, clients and business partners regarding residential building technology.
- Maintain own technical and professional knowledge by attending workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Analyze and recommend improved procedures and processes related to work flow, diagnostics, etc.
- Develop knowledge and expertise through targeted development activities and new job experiences.
- Work to further develop positive, long term, client relationships.
- Provide excellent customer services to clients by being timely, responsive and providing excellent verbal and written communications.
- When appropriate, promote business opportunities with both new and existing clients.
- Clarify and evaluate technical aspects of service requests from clients.
- Provide technical consultation to assist clients in successfully implementing energy saving measures.